Choosing the Right Camp
Selecting the correct camp can be a long and challenging process. There are two key factors in choosing the right camp for your child:
First – know exactly what you are looking for, Decide on the type of camp, philosophy, program, physical set-up, etc. and be sure to set clear goals of what you want from a camp.
Second – ask the right questions. If you know what to ask and what to look for you will better find the right program for your child.
Most camp directors will be glad to explain their camp and program. No camp can be right for everyone. The TLC Family of Camps doesn’t try to be. It is in our best interest to recruit and attract those campers who will enjoy our program. Our family of camps thrive on their re-enrollment and recommendations. It is with that in mind that we offer you a general outline of questions that you might consider when interviewing our directors or others.
This list of questions comes from our own experience in recruiting campers and from material obtained from parents of campers who have attended our camps. We hope you find it useful.
- What is a typical day at camp like?
- What does my child have to bring to camp?
- What is included in the tuition for camp? What is extra?
- Can I request for my child to be placed in the same group as his/her friends?
- What kind of communication will/can I have with the camp during the summer?
- How many children are there in each group?
- How many counselors are with each group?
- What are the ages of the counselors?
- Where do most of the counselors come from?
- How are the counselors selected/hired?
- What qualifications do the counselors have?
- How are the counselors trained?
- Is there a Health Center with a nurse on the grounds?
- What is the process if my child gets sick during the day?
- How long is a typical bus route?
- Who will be driving my child to and from camp every day?
- Is there a bus counselor in addition to the driver on the bus?
- What type of vehicle is my child coming to camp in?
- Can I pick-up and/or drop-off my child?
- Will my child be going on any out-of-camp trips?
- What kind of swim program do you offer?
- What programs will my child have a choice to participate in?
- What sports are offered during the summer?
- Is there coaching and by whom?
- What type of food is served during the day?
- Are there any snacks?
- How are meals served?
- Can campers eat as much as they would like and can they get seconds/thirds if they wish?
- How do you encourage campers to make friends?
- Can I visit my child at camp?